If this is your first visit with us, or if you are seeing us for a new matter, here is what we will be doing for you:
First Stage: Legal History
You will be interviewed by a paralegal who will help you write your legal history. This should take 2 hours. It will be helpful if you write your history and bring your documents. You must finish your legal history before you can receive an appointment to see a lawyer who is a specialist in your subject area.
Note: you are exempted in this service if you:
1. have a tight deadline
2. a temporary foreign worker seeking an uncontested divorce application
3. an existing client as of January 15, 2019
4. are a 60s Scoop claimant.
How to Make the Most of Your Appointment with Amici Curiae (Friends of Court)
SECOND APPOINTMENT: ASSESSMENT SERVICE
IF APPROPRIATE, YOUR NEXT APPOINTMENT WILL BE TO RECEIVE AN ASSESSMENT WITH A LAWYER WHO IS A SPECIALIST IN YOUR AREA OF LAW THAT YOU NEED HELP IN. IF IT IS A FAMILY MATTER, YOU WILL RECEIVE A 2 HOUR APPOINTMENT. FOR OTHER AREAS OF LAW, YOU WILL RECEIVE A 1 HOUR APPOINTMENT.
DURING THE APPOINTMENT, THE LAWYER WILL ENSURE YOU HAVE A WORKABLE LEGAL PLAN SO THE PARALEGALS CAN HELP YOU WORK TOWARD YOUR GOALS. AS PART OF THIS SERVICE, THE LAWYER WILL DO 3 THINGS:
- DRAFT A WRITTEN LEGAL PLAN THAT OUR VOLUNTEERS CAN FOLLOW. A TYPICAL PLAN MIGHT LIST THE VARIOUS FORMS NEEDED TO PROCEED WITH YOUR CASE
- MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT WANTING TO PURSUE ANY LEGAL PROCESSES THAT ARE, IN ONE WAY OR ANOTHER, SERIOUSLY MISGUIDED
- WARN YOU OF ANY RISKS
USEFUL TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- YOUR ID GOVERNMENT ISSUED, LIBRARY CARD OR DOCUMENT SHOWING NAME AND/OR ADDRESS
- LEGAL DOCUMENTS, IF APPLICABLE
- ALL RELATED DOCUMENTS (AGREEMENTS, EMAILS, ETC.)
- OPTIONAL USB DRIVE TO SAVE YOUR DOCUMENTS. (WE DO NOT KEEP YOUR DOCUMENTS.)
Updated: June 21, 2019