If this is your first visit with us, or if you are seeing us for a new matter, here is what we will be doing for you:
FIRST APPOINTMENT: LEGAL HISTORY
Our volunteer will help you write your legal history. This should take 2 hours and depending on space, we will try to book you for a 2 hour appointment. If you can, it will be helpful if you can write your history and bring your documents. If you matter is simple, we will begin working with you immediately.
Note: you are exempted in this service if you:
- have a tight deadline
- a temporary foreign worker seeking an uncontested divorce application
- an existing client as of January 15, 2019
How to Make the Most of Your Appointment with Amici Curiae (Friends of Court)
SECOND APPOINTMENT: ASSESSMENT SERVICE
If your matter is complex, you will receive an appointment to see a lawyer who is a specialist in your subject area. If your matter is in family law, you will receive a 2 hour appointment; other areas of law receive 1 hour appointment.
During the appointment, the lawyer will ensure you have a workable legal plan so the paralegals can help you work toward your goals. As part of this service, the lawyer will do 3 things:
- draft a written Legal Plan that our volunteers can follow. A plan might list the various forms needed to proceed with your case;
- make sure your are not wanting to pursue any legal processes that are, in one way or another, seriously misguided; and
- warn you of any risks.
USEFUL TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- your government issued ID, library card or document showing your name and address;
- legal documents, if applicable;
- all related documents (agreements, emails, pictures, etc); and
- if you do not have an email address, a USB drive to save your documents (we do not keep your documents).
Updated: September 3, 2019