If this is your first visit with us, or if you are seeing us for a new matter, here is what we will be doing for you:
FIRST STEP: LEGAL HISTORY
Our volunteer will help you write your legal history. This should take two appointments which are 1 hour long each. If we have space available, we will try to book you for a 2 hour appointment.
It will be helpful if you can write your history and bring your documents. If you matter is simple, we will begin working with you immediately.
Note: you are exempted in this service if you:
- have a tight deadline
- a temporary foreign worker seeking an uncontested divorce application
How to Make the Most of Your Appointment with Amici Curiae (Friends of Court)
SECOND STEP: ASSESSMENT SERVICE
If your matter is complex, you will receive an appointment to see a lawyer who is a specialist in your subject area. If your matter is in family law, you will receive a 2 hour appointment; other areas of law receive 1 hour appointment.
During the appointment, the lawyer will ensure you have a workable legal plan so the paralegals can help you work toward your goals. As part of this service, the lawyer will do 3 things:
- draft a written Legal Plan that our volunteers can follow. A plan might list the various forms needed to proceed with your case;
- make sure your are not wanting to pursue any legal processes that are, in one way or another, seriously misguided; and
- warn you of any risks.
USEFUL TO BRING TO YOUR APPOINTMENT:
- your government issued ID, library card or document showing your name and address;
- legal documents, if applicable;
- all related documents (agreements, emails, pictures, etc); and
- if you do not have an email address, a USB drive to save your documents (we do not keep your documents).
Updated: December 27, 2019